Asheville Open Band
The Asheville Open Band meets twice a month to play tunes from the contra dance repertoire (and learn Laura Light’s great tricks to thrill dancers with!)
The band is for anyone who either enjoys or wants to enjoy playing contra music. We meet 1st and 3rd Wednesdays, 7-9 PM, at Laura Light’s house. A less formal session also meets 2nd and 4th Wednesdays, at Lindsay Morris’s or Chip Bell’s house.
Date and locations may change, so Click Here to sign up for the mailing list!
(This will send a blank e-mail, you will get a confirmation e-mail response)
A Big THANK YOU to David Rose for updating the Set list and the Tunes list!
These are current as of Oct 2018, and David will probably keep them updated as things change.
You might want to check out forScore, which lets you load all this sheet music onto your iPad and get rid of your three-ring binder. $10 for the iPad version.
Questions, problems? Tell me. Lindsay Morris
Below is the old version of this web page, with the outdated set list and tune list.
Why would anybody want to use this? I don’t know, but just in case, here it is:
Set list: Here are the current sets (2-tune pairs) that we’re working on (Current as of Jan 2018) :
- Sets.pdf: should be readable by any computer
- an index of the sets, showing the first two bars (“How does that go, again…?”). Very useful since they’re not in alphabetical order (instead, sets we’ve worked on more recently are later in the list.)
- Sets.abc: With this, your EasyABC Program can display the sheet music and play the tunes for you(!!!). If you’re a play-by-ear musician, this is magnificent! (And abcnotation.com has thousands more traditional tunes that EasyABC can play for you. Just type in the tune name.)
Tune list: Here’s the full collection of tunes in alphabetical order (Current as of Jan 2018):
- tunes.pdf: should be readable by any computer
- an index of the tunes, showing the first two bars (“How does that go, again…?”)
- tunes.abc: Playable by EasyABC, as above.
Waltzes: Here are the waltzes (not updated recently)
Lindsay Morris is happy to hear about corrections to this sheet music. Even better, send in your corrected .abc file. Or whatever works.